Delhi: Delhi’s political leadership has assured its constituents that the states of Punjab, Punjab and Jhalkhand will soon be the first states to have a ban imposed on entry to India by foreigners, a senior government official told PTI.
In a clear signal of the state’s willingness to take action, the minister said the Centre would not give any relief to any state as far as ban is concerned.
“We have assured the states that we will take all necessary measures to ensure that no person from any country will be allowed entry into the country,” Minister of State for Home Suresh Kumar said in a series of tweets on Monday.
He said, “As far as we are concerned, the states have been assured that they will be able to do so.”
The tweet comes a day after Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he was “saddened” by the “dreadful” incident and called it “an insult to our nation”.
He said the government was “in the process of drafting an action plan” to deal with the issue.
Earlier, he had said the issue was under consideration and that it was likely to be discussed at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
In another tweet, he said that “the states should immediately suspend entry of all persons from any part of the world and also refrain from entering the country in any capacity”.
The minister added that the state government was ready to take “all necessary action” if necessary.
Earlier in the day, the Punjab and Haryana High Court had ordered an inquiry into the ban.
The Centre had on Monday told the states to “take necessary measures” to ensure there was no “backflow” of foreign nationals.
The Supreme Court had on Sunday, asked the states “to take all appropriate steps to ensure the safety of Indian nationals and nationals of other countries”.
In an earlier statement, the Centre had said it was “committed to take all feasible steps to prevent infiltration of foreign persons”.
Earlier, Home Minister Sureshar Kumar had said, “(The ban) will be imposed immediately.
The government is in the process.
We will soon get it approved.”